Croft Couture #18: Marta
The Tomb Raider fandom is full of talented artists, entertainers, and perhaps most notably, phenomenal cosplay talent. “Croft Couture” aims to showcase these lovely and dedicated women, and give Lara costumers a spot to share their experiences while dressed as gaming’s leading lady.
Italian cosplayer Marta not only has a knack for creating incredibly authentic costumes, but for conveying emotion and mood in her photoshoots. Not to mention she’s scouted some pretty spot-on locations to shoot in. You know the drill – photos above, interview below!
- Name: Marta
- Country: Italy
- Occupation: Student
- Fan Since: 1998
- Favorite Tomb Raider Game: I can’t decide!
- Favorite Non-Lara Tomb Raider Character: Winston
- Favorite Tomb Raider Villain: Doppelgänger
- Number of Lara Croft Costumes: 4
- First Lara Croft Cosplay: Tomb Raider: Legend
- Favorite Lara Croft Cosplay: Tomb Raider Reborn
- Future Lara Croft Cosplay: Tomb Raider: Legend, Winter (No Coat)
What first drew you to the Tomb Raider franchise, and what initially inspired you to cosplay as Lara Croft?
The first time I heard about Tomb Raider was in 1998, when a friend of mine bought a PlayStation and a copy of Tomb Raider II. We played it together and I immediately loved it! I adored the game atmosphere, the breathtaking scenery, and Lara of course. She was strong, independent, beautiful, brilliant, acculturated, and I was completely fascinated by her gymnastic skills. Then, in 2011 my best friend and I were talking about Lucca Comics & Games (the Italian Comic-con), and she said that I looked like Lara and that it would be a pity if I didn’t cosplay as her. And so, that’s how I started my first TR costume.
What Lara Croft costume did you tackle first?
The standard Tomb Raider Legend outfit since it was my favorite at the moment.
What is your favorite Lara Croft ensemble?
I love the Lara’s new TR Reborn outfit. It makes me feel like a survivor and a fighter like her.
What Croft costumes are still on your roster?
Now I’m finishing the winter TRL outfit but there’re so many TR costumes that I would really like to make! I think I’ll probably make others Lara’s costumes in the next month…
Which Lara costume was the most difficult to construct? Was it due to a particular garment or prop?
I think the Reborn outfit. I had to make by myself everything because I didn’t find anything similar around: the bow, the arrows, the holster, the snow axe, the necklace…
Lara Croft’s lifestyle is full of intrigue and adventure. Do you have any memorable photoshoots or convention appearances that pay tribute to Lara’s lifestyle?
I had two photo sessions in some abandoned archaeological sites: there were ruins everywhere and I had to be careful on where I walked because it was pretty dangerous. There were deep cracks in the walls and I wasn’t sure the structures were stable. But then I thought “These buildings held up for more than a millennium, why wouldn’t they last two more hours?” It was so exciting, I felt like I was part of a Tomb Raider game.
Along the same lines, what’s the most exotic location you’ve traveled to?
Unfortunately, I didn’t travel as much as I would like because I’ve never left Europe. I always wanted to travel all around the world, visiting foreign countries and meeting different cultures. I have always been fascinated by the history and the culture of people that dwell on Earth.
What about Lara’s physical strength or mental prowess most inspires you? Has this, or your desire to cosplay Lara, influenced your daily life?
I loved Lara’s lifestyle since I saw her for the first time, and I always wanted to be strong and brilliant as she is. Playing Tomb Raider and then cosplaying Lara inspired me to really go all out when I want to accomplish something. It’s like Lara is telling me “If you want something, go and grab it: you can do it!” After all, she’s a Croft, and maybe she turned a bit of me into one too.
Photos by Silvia Ceccotti and NiamhPhotos
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- videogamesmydrug likes this
- reves-world reblogged this from tombraider
- reves-world likes this
- raidercroft likes this
- t0mbr4ider reblogged this from tombraider
- t0mbr4ider likes this
- corazoninutil reblogged this from tombraider
- scorcidivita likes this
- the-horse-of-a-different-colour likes this
- omenthewolf likes this
- tomblararaider reblogged this from tombraider
- norestforthewickedawesome likes this
- monsterluff likes this
- groteleur likes this
- sdm-artist likes this
- survivortr reblogged this from forevertombraider
- sketchopath likes this
- j05ch1 likes this
- eraaldhia likes this
- franke1997 likes this
- chlxo likes this
- sxumy reblogged this from tombraider
- gothundr likes this
- sammuelboutet reblogged this from tombraider
- keeperoftheflames likes this
- stellatombraider reblogged this from anbaamisheru
- jessietr likes this
- marcoswm reblogged this from tombraider
- acerumpfed likes this
- justatallboy reblogged this from tombraider
- insomnia-gaming likes this
- pinchezombie likes this
- hungarykitty likes this
- vigneshpchan likes this
- iaml-chan likes this
- tombraideraddiction reblogged this from laras-tomb
- anbaamisheru reblogged this from tombraider
- rlynastythings likes this
- mewtwo8 likes this
- oursexwillbegreattillwepassout reblogged this from tombraider
- jdemetriusg likes this
- jose1545 reblogged this from tombraider
- onemilliondoorways likes this
- accidentshappen05 likes this
- feoandtheaquanauts likes this
- xxgovilazuxx likes this
- flamewarder likes this
- mooselover16 reblogged this from tombraider
- dashthis likes this
- laras-tomb reblogged this from tombraider